Caramelised Leek & Fennel Tart
A man after my own tart.. ha.. my man loved my tart today.. he said it was ‘divine’. 😊 Defo is not the healthiest of dishes but a great one for when you want to impress. 1. preheat oven to 180°C
A confession. It’s the first time I’ve made it, and I was beyond pleased with the result.
The flavours of the leek and fennel balanced so perfectly with the cheese and rosemary, creating the richest, creamy, savoury tart.
2. Make a cheese sauce first by melting butter, add leeks and garlic until translucent. Add flour to form a paste. Add milk slowly and whisk the mixture till smooth so it can coat the back of a spoon. Add cheese, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Whisk until all combined, let cool.
3. Add Fennel and Leek on a single layer to the oven tray, season, and brush with olive oil, Roast in the oven until slightly charred, cool.
4. Roll out the pastry into a rectangle. Pinch corners up, so the pastry has sides that come up around 1cm. Prick with a fork, brush the border with egg yolk and bake for 10-15 minutes until partially cooked.
5. Add cheese mixture pastry, top with leeks, fennel & rosemary sprigs
6. Bake in the oven until pastry is cooked. If the top is burning, cover the middle section with foil or parchment paper, continue to bake until the pastry is cooked.
7. Cool slightly before eating warm
1. preheat oven to 180°C